Mr Saleh Abbas
Mr Saleh Abbas is a General Surgeon who specialises in Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic surgery. He also provides a wide range of laparoscopic surgery including Upper GI, adrenals and hernia. As well as endoscopic procedures for the lower and upper GI tract. Mr Abbas participates in several emergency surgery oncall rosters in the Geelong region.
Graduating from Baghdad University in 1987, he is now a fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and he currently has an academic appointment with Deakin University teaching medical students and training our next generation of surgeons.
Mr Abbas is very active in research and has published more than 30 papers in different journals, including Diseases of Colon and Rectum, The British Journal of Surgery and The Cochrane Collaboration.
Outside of surgery Mr Abbas is a father of three which he considers to be his best achievement and asset. He enjoys bike riding, basketball and soccer and he often attends sports events with his children.
He is an avid reader with interests in history, anthropology and ancient civilisations in Iraq and Egypt which he finds fascinating. He is also greatly interested in the development of religions, language and culture.
Services provided by Mr Abbas
Education & Experience
- Consultant, Department of Surgery, Deakin University – July 2012 to present
- Hepatobiliary, Pancreatic, Laparoscopic and General Surgeon, Epworth Hospital, Geelong – July 2016 to Present
- Hepatobiliary, Pancreatic, Laparoscopic and General Surgeon, St John of God Hospital, Geelong – October 2012 to Present
- Hepatobiliary, Pancreatic, Laparoscopic and General Surgeon, University Hospital Geelong – Barwon Health – July 2012 to Present
Fellowship Hepato-pancreato-biliary Surgery
- Royal Prince Alfred – January 2011-December 2012
- Westmead Hospital – January 2010- December 2011
Consultant General Surgeon
- Fellow in Hepatobiliary Surgery, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital 2011
- Fellow in Hepatobiliary Surgery, Westmead Hospital 2010
- Locum General Surgeon, January 2009 to October 2009
- Kuwait Hospital, Sanaa Yemen 1993 to 1996
Senior Lecturer – Deakin University, 2012 – Current
Honorary Lecturer – University of Otago, School of Medicine, 2005
Lecturer – University of Auckland, School of Medicine, 2003 – 2004
Lecturer – Baghdad University, School of Medicine, 1989 – 1992
General Surgery Advanced Training, 2004 – 2008
Australasian College of Surgeons; rotation including one year in each of the following hospitals:
- Dunedin Hospital
- Rotorua Hospital
- Middlemore Hospital
- Auckland Hospital
Registrar (General Surgery)
- Auckland Hospital, 2001 – 2003
- Dunedin Hospital, 1999 – 2001
- Wellington Hospital, 1998 – 1999
Residency Training in General Surgery
- Medical City Hospital, Baghdad, 1989 – 1992
- Medical City Hospital, Baghdad, 1987 – 1988
Medical Doctor and Undergraduate Degree
- Baghdad University, School of Medicine; M.B, CH.B, 1981 – 1987
- Department of Surgery, Auckland School of Medicine, 2003 – 2004
- Claire S, Abbas S, Watters D. The role of cholecystectomy in presumed microlithiasis in preventing recurrent pancreatitis. Int J Surg 2016
- Abbas S, Sandroussi C.HPB . 2013 Jul;15(7):492-503. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the role of vascular resection in the treatment of hilar cholangiocarcinoma.
- Abbas,S Molecular biology of adenocarcinoma of the pancreatic duct, current state and future therapeutic avenues.Abbas S Surg Oncol. 2013 Jun;22(2):69-76.
- Srinivasa S, Kahokehr AA, Sammour T, Yu T, Abbas SM, Hill AG. Statin use in adhesive small bowel obstruction. J Surg Res. 2010 Feb; 158(2):385-6
- Abdominal tuberculosis: an easily forgotten diagnosis. Yunaev M, Ling A, Abbas S, Suen M, Pleass H. ANZ J Surg. 2011 Jul-Aug;81(7-8):559-60
- Abbas S, Lam V. In colorectal liver metastases, the presence of extrahepatic disease correlates with the pathology of the primary tumour.
- Abbas S, Lam V, Hollands M Ten-year survival after liver resection for colorectal metastases: systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Abbas SM, Martin D, Leong RW, Wettstien A Education and imaging: gastrointestinal: leiomyoma of the oesophagus. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012 Dec;27(12):1873.
- Saleh M Abbas, Michael Seitz. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the used surgical techniques to reduce leg lymphedema following radical inguinal nodes dissection. Surg oncol 2010
- Sanket Srinivasa, Nainoor Thakore , Saleh Abbas, Maryam Mahmood , Arman Adam Kahokehr , Andrew G. Hill. Impact of Gastrografin in Clinical Practice in the Management of Adhesive Small Bowel Obstruction. Can J Surg 2010
- Saleh M Abbas, Arman Kahokher, Marayam Mahmoud, Andrew G Hill Physiologic Modification of the American society of Anaesthesiology score (ASA) for Prediction of morbidity and mortality after emergency laparotomy. Int J Surg 2009; 20: 2
- Abbas SM, Hill AG. Smoking is a major risk factor for wound dehiscence after midline abdominal incision; case-control study. ANZ J Surg. 2009; 79:247-50.
- Abbas SM, Adams D, Vanniasingham P. What happens to the external carotid artery following carotid endarterectomy?. BMC Surg. 2008 Nov 25;8(1): 20.
- Abbas SM, Hill AG. Systematic review of the literature for the use of oesophageal Doppler monitor for fluid replacement in major abdominal surgery. Anaesthesia. 2008 Jan;63(1):44-51. Review
- Abbas SM, Merrie AE. Resection of peritoneal metastases causing malignant small bowel obstruction. World J Surg Oncol. 2007 Oct 24;5:122
- Abbas SM, Smithers T, Truter E. What clinical and laboratory parameters determine significant intra abdominal pathology for patients assessed in hospital with acute abdominal pain. World journal of emergency surgery 2007
- Abbas SM, Hill AG. Prostatic sarcoma after treatment of rectal cancer. World J Surg Oncol. 2007 Jul 30;5:82Abbas S, Bissett IP, Parry BR. Oral water soluble contrast for the management of adhesive small bowel obstruction. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007 Jul 18;(3). Review
- Abbas SM, Upadhyay V. Hollow viscus injury in children: Starship Hospital experience. World J Emerg Surg. 2007 Jun 4;2:14.
- Abbas SM, Bissett IP, Parry BR. Meta-analysis of oral water-soluble contrast agent in the management of adhesive small bowel obstruction. Br J Surg. 2007 Apr;94(4):404-11.
- Abbas S, Ng A, Jones W. Examination under anesthesia prior laparoscopic appendicectomy: does it change the approach? Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2007 Feb;17(1):26-8
- Abbas SM. Obesity surgery and the role in treating type 2 diabetes mellitus, are we ready for the next step? Curr Surg. 2006 Mar-Apr;63(2):92-5; quiz 95-6. Review
- Abbas S. Resection and primary anastomosis in acute complicated diverticulitis, a systematic review of the literature. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2007 Apr;22(4):351-7.
- Abbas SM, Bissett IP, Holden A, Woodfield JC, Parry BR, Duncan D. Clinical variables associated with positive angiographic localization of lower gastrointestinal bleeding. ANZ J Surg. 2005 Nov;75(11):953-7
- Abbas SM, Bissett IP, Neill ME, Parry BR. Long-term outcome of postanal repair in the treatment of faecal incontinence. ANZ J Surg. 2005 Sep;75(9):783-
- Burge J, Abbas SM, Roadley G, Donald J, Connolly A, Bissett IP, Hill AG. Randomized controlled trial of Gastrografin in adhesive small bowel obstruction. ANZ J Surg. 2005 Aug;75(8):672-4.
- Abbas SM, Bissett IP, Neill ME, Macmillan AK, Milne D, Parry BR. Long-term results of the anterior Délorme’s operation in the management of symptomatic rectocele. Dis Colon Rectum. 2005 Feb;48(2):317-22
- Abbas S, Bissett IP, Parry BR. Oral water soluble contrast for the management of adhesive small bowel obstruction. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005 Jan 25;(1):CD004651. Review. Update in: Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007;(3) .
- Abbas SM, Booth MW. Correlation between the current TNM staging and long-term survival after curative D1 lymphadenectomy for stomach cancer. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2005 Aug;390(4):294-9.
- Abbas S, Booth M. Major abdominal surgery in octogenarians. N Z Med J. 2003 Apr 17;116(1172)
- Stevens CL, Awad A,AbbasSM, Watters DAK Systematic review and meta-analysis of hepatic resection versus transarterial chemoembolization for solitary large hepatocellular carcinoma.. HPB (Oxford). 2017 Apr 17.
- Abbas SM and I Bissett. Postanal repair in patients with idiopathic faecal incontinence. Management of faecal incontinence (Elisvier). First edition
- General Surgeons Meeting, Geelong, October 2017 – High volume surgical unite building
- Statins reduce the need for surgery in adhesive small bowel obstruction. Association for Academic Surgery Meeting, San Antonio TX, February 2010
- Anaemia in acutely ill surgical patients, Annual scientific meeting RACS, Singapore 2014
- Management of inguinal nodes in SCC of the anal canal; Royal College of surgeons, Brisbane 2009
- Techniques for reduction of lymphedema after inguinal nodes dissection; Royal College of Surgeons; Brisbane 2009
- Smoking is a major risk factor for wound dehiscence after midline abdominal incision, Royal College of Surgeons Christchurch May 2007
- Resection and primary anastomosis in acute complicated diverticulitis, New Zealand Association of General surgeons, March 2006
- Results of therapeutic trial of Gastrografin in adhesive small bowel obstruction, Royal College of Surgeons, Perth 2005
- Survival after resection of peritoneal recurrence of Abdominal malignancies, Royal College of Surgeons, Perth 2005
- Aangiographic localization of lower GI bleeding using mesenteric angiography, Royal College of Surgeons, Perth 2005
- Results of post-anal repair in faecal incontinence, Results of anterior Delorme’s operation for rectocoele; Royal College of Surgeons; Melbourne may 2004
- Systematic review of the role of Gastrografin in the management of adhesive small bowel obstruction; Royal College of Surgeons; Melbourne, May 2004
- Results of anterior Delorme’s operation for rectocoele; Royal College of Surgeons; Brisbane, 2003
- Major abdominal surgery in the octogenarians; Royal College of Surgeons; Brisbane May 2003
- Survival after curative D1 resection of stomach cancer, Royal College of Surgeons; Brisbane, May 2003
- Emergency laparotomy outcome by ASA and acute physiology, New Zealand Association of General surgeons, Auckland October 2003
- Hepatobiliary, Pancreatic, Laparoscopic and General Surgeon, Epworth Hospital, Geelong
- Hepatobiliary, Pancreatic, Laparoscopic and General Surgeon, St John of God Hospital, Geelong
- Hepatobiliary, Pancreatic, Laparoscopic and General Surgeon, University Hospital Geelong – Barwon Health
- FRACS – Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- ANZHPBA – Australia and New Zealand Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
- FRACS, MBCHB, FRCS, MD
- Hepatobiliary, Pancreatic, Laparoscopic and General Surgeon
- Senior Lecturer, Deakin University
- Doctorate Degree MD, (Doctor of Medicine) with the University of Auckland, New Zealand, 2013
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, 2008
- Fellow of the College of Surgeons, Dublin, Ireland, August 1996